THE RAMBLINGS OF A FRENCH CANADIAN WARGAMER

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Indians!

Kinda obvious this was coming, heh?

Indeed, Indians are an important part of any French & Indian war project (dah). I must admit I was a little wary of painting them. I haven't painted a lot of large flesh surface in the last couple of years and my technique changed immensely since my days of painting an Ancient greek army. Moreoever there's the whole 'red skin' thingie that you really want to get right; overdone it just looks silly.

As usual the figures are by Conquest, their early (now discontinued) Woodland Indians pack. I believe some of these sculpts were reintroduced into the Woodland Indian War Party box sets but many have I'm afraid disappeared for good. I got mine from a helping fella over at TMP. They sure are not easy to get a hold of. Mind you the new ones are just as nice...but one just can't have too many of these guys...

When I first started the project the Militia and the Rangers were my favourite figures but the Indians have grown on me. I really enjoyed painting them, a lot more than I thought.

Now before anyone says anything (I can hear you from up here) yes I know they lack war paints. As it was my first batch I wanted to work on the skin before moving on to war paints. I intend to slowly incorporate more warpaints in future batches. Not a fan of painting tatoos I have to say. I find they just look bad on 28mm figures, unless painted by the very best (which I am not). Your mileage may vary on this...Anyways most of my Indians will be used as French allies (Hurons). who were rarely tattooed.

So yeah, here they are. My very first Indians.
 

13 comments:

  1. Very nice!

    I'd love to make a War of 1812 collection to complement my Napoleonics, (Indians included) but our rules don't cope with small scale actions. Maybe not until I find another set of rules sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Iannick. Slowly but surely building up to a game.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Iannick,

    Excellent group of indian. The skin tone looks just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on these Iannick. I'm going to have to try to scare up some of these castings as I'd like to give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Not sure why, but I can't seem to join your blog, I'll try again another day.

      Delete
  6. Excellent painting on those Indians

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to all for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Iannick,

    Since I am a true admirer of your porjects and progress I have awarded you with the "Liebster Blog Award"

    Please see the details here:

    http://nowheretoleadsoldiers.blogspot.ca/2012/11/liebster-blog-award-has-reach-nowhere.html

    And feel free to go on if you like to.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh...an award! I feel like a celebrity ;-)

      Thanks Nico!

      Delete
  9. Great looking indians there. I'm very tempted by this period and your nice minis doesn't exactly make it easier to stay away ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonas! and you know you want to...join us! ;-)

      Delete
  10. Very lovely, I like the very saturated skin-color in particular.

    ReplyDelete